photo Untitled-1_edited-1_zpsqkwzi3gd.jpg

August 9, 2011

On the Clock

As of this post, we're officially over thirty-nine weeks pregnant, my belly is as big as a house, and the toddler is busy pointing out any and all babies in sight with a resounding chorus of BEBEH! It's cute, trust me.

Earlier in the week, with a baby still so high up in my belly that breathing is no longer an option, we headed off to our midwife appointment. Truth be told, I didn't expect to hear anything even remotely resembling the word progress, especially since the nuclear heartburn is only becoming slightly more deadly by the hour. But beyond that, I finally came to a good place with my pregnancy this past week, trusting that there is a reason I'm still pregnant and knowing that God will give me the grace I need to pull through, even if it requires therapy for my poor, radioactive esophagus.

It's a good thing I didn't go into our appointment with great expectations because hoping to be dilated to a 5 is not even within the realm of possibility right now. We're basically exactly where we found ourselves last week, with a body extremely resistant to even the thought of labor.

But now, we're on the clock.

I never wanted to be pregnant through 42 weeks and if your kid continued to mistake your ribs for a xylophone, you'd be praying for deliverance too. But I took comfort in the fact that we had time; we had options. And we turned down the choice to be induced later this week because we wanted to do what we felt was best for our family.

Life is never as simple as we want it to be, and Jonathan and I were reminded of this fact today when we were told that we would only be allowed to go a brief while longer before we had no choice but to be induced. Thanks to my previous pregnancy, the risk of waiting til 42 weeks is simply too great, both to myself and the baby.

Now, despite our best efforts to be patient through copious use of prayer and french fries, we are facing an induction. We have been given the next week and a half to go into labor on our own and so today I'm asking for your prayers.

We want to avoid an induction if at all possible. We want to have the option to try for a completely natural birth. And my husband desperately wants me to quit blaming the french fry cravings on our child.

At this point, all we can do is wait, pray, and hope. And if anyone knows of a particularly bumpy road in our area, I'm always open to suggestions.


  1. I can recommend a particularly bumpy, gravel road in White Bear Lake if you're still interested ;) Hang in there mama, it's almost over! My daughter was a week late and I know how miserable it is....but hold out for that natural birth you want! It will be worth it.

  2. Thanks so much Andrea! We're going to hold out for the natural birth we want until the last possible moment. It's tough- we want to avoid an induction if at all possible, but we also want to make the best decision we can so we're not putting our baby at risk by going to far over our due date! Hopefully our little one will arrive in the next few days so none of this is an issue!

  3. I'll definitely be praying for you. Have you thought about castor oil? I haven't been desperate enough to try it myself but if you really need to get things moving, it might be worth it.

  4. Thanks Verna! Honestly, castor oil makes me a little nervous, but I did talk to my midwife about it. If nothing has happened by next week, I might just be desperate enough to give it a go!

  5. It made me nervous too! ; ) Lots of squats too. Someone told me to squat everytime you have a contraction, that's supposed to help move the baby down farther. Good luck, Mama! I'm thinking about you and your peanut!

  6. Prayers coming your way! Maybe long walks are in order. I'm convinced that's the only thing that really works.

  7. You can come run around the gym at the school where I teach . . . made my water break ;) Thinking about you!

  8. As hard as it sounds, try not to put so much pressure on yourself and the baby. I can say that because I am 39 weeks and 2 days along... but who is counting right? No really though, I know for a fact that putting pressure (which equals stress) on yourself can interfere with getting pregnant, so why wouldn't it affect your ability to go into labor too? I am seeing a midwife at Mayo Clinic and she won't even do a pelvic exam unless it is requested by the patient because there really is very little correlation between being dilated (up to 4 cm) and when you will give birth. She told me that she has seen women dilated at 3 cm for a month before they went into labor naturally, and others that when checked at noon were not dilated at all only to give birth that night! Finally, God has already decided for you how (and when) this baby will be born. Your job is to trust in His plan. In my experience, my plan never works out as well in the long run as God's plan does. Try as hard as it is to go with the flow of things (even if it isn't what you want right now) instead of running up the down elevator... because at 39 weeks pregnant nobody looks good running... but if it helps induce labor.... :-)
    Asking for help/prayers is also a good thing to do, I will be thinking of you.

  9. Hold in there momma, I'm sure whatever happens will be whats right for your family. Good luck. amber :)