photo Untitled-1_edited-1_zpsqkwzi3gd.jpg

October 8, 2009

Birth Class and Update

We had our first birth and parenting class tonight. Overall, it was fairly interesting although we went over general information about labor and delivery that Jonathan and I felt that we already knew. I think that the coming weeks will be more helpful as we discuss things more in-depth, such as epidurals, cesarean sections, and post-partum issues.

Tonight, the best part of the class were the relaxation techniques that we went over to use in labor. The techniques were very helpful and I think they will really help me deal with the pain of labor in a more natural manner rather than begging for painkillers after the first few contractions.

Regarding our doctor's appointment yesterday, I was on the phone this morning with the perinatologist's office as soon as they opened, only to be told that they hadn't received the referral from my doctor yet. After calling my OB's office and ensuring that they would put the referral in today, I spent much of the morning and afternoon working on something that continues to be a challenge for me- patience. If nothing else, this experience is teaching me that everything cannot be resolved all at once; it requires the coming-together of many people which does not happen on my timeline and, as such, I need to be patient and wait.

When I finally got the phone call from the perinatologist's office, I was extremely relieved. The woman I spoke with explained that our OB ordered two separate appointments to make sure that Baby G's heart is functioning normally: a level II ultrasound and a fetal echo.

The level II ultrasound will be a 3D/4D ultrasound where the perinatologist examines Baby G to make sure that he and his heart are structurally healthy. The fetal echo is a very specific ultrasound that examines the heart and how it is functioning.

We found out today that the perinatologist's office performs level II ultrasounds, but does not do the fetal echo examination (we have to go to a different clinic for that appointment). We were able to get an appointment for tomorrow for the ultrasound and we are hoping for the best. After that appointment, we will speak to the high-risk doctor and then schedule the fetal echo.

All day, I have been trying to focus on the good things in this situation rather than panicking myself with possible grim outcomes. Ironically, Jonathan and I talked earlier on in this pregnancy about the possibility of paying out-of-pocket to have a 3D/4D ultrasound done and had decided that we weren't going to spend the money on it, since it wasn't covered by insurance. Now, we have been given the opportunity to have a 3D/4D ultrasound performed that is medically necessary and, therefore, covered by insurance. Although I am still concerned about the outcome of the appointment, I feel as though we are being blessed with the opportunity to see what Baby G looks like right now!

For all the people that have read about our situation and are keeping us in your thoughts and prayers- thank you! It is appreciated more than you know and we will update you all as soon as we have more information!

1 comment:

  1. praying for you babe. I am sure that the Lord will protect little G no matter what the condition may be.

    The Lord is faithful & will protect him. And God bless that this happened in 2009 and not 1909, technology & medicine has advanced incredibly over the past year alone.

    keep us updated lovie.